On February 19, at the Audain Art Museum, AFOW members met new Whistler Blackcomb COO, Pete Sonntag, and enjoyed a presentation about happenings on the mountains. Attendees also received a special tour of the Audain Art Museum. Thank you to Pete Sonntag, acting mayor, John Grills, the Audain Art Museum staff, the Adele Campbell Fine Art Gallery and all those who made this event possible.
More than $130,000 was donated in 2017 to the following organizations:
- Audain Art Museum for the permanent endowment of the museum’s foundation.
- Whistler Writing Society supporting workshop series during 2017 Writers’ Festival.
- Whistler Remembrance Place to build new home for the Whistler Cenotaph to provide a prominent and honorable location for this monument.
- Whistler Mountain Ski Club supporting the USA Team at the 25th Annual Whistler Cup, one of the largest international childrens’ ski races.
- Whistler Animal Galore for installation of stone fence around dog run.
- Whistler Community Services Society for their Food Bank and outreach programs.
- Spearhead Huts Society for the Kees and Claire Memorial Hut for building supplies.
- Whistler Adaptive Sports Program for a highly specialized adaptive mountain bike for individuals with low mobility.
- Whistler Search and Rescue for equipment.
American Friends of Whistler assists an American ski club, The Downhill Derelicts, in their fundraising to benefit Whistler Adaptive Sports Program. Last year they presented a $CAD 20,000 gift to WASP and are on track to raise the bar this year. On Tuesday, March 13, they are sponsoring a race at the Blackcomb GMC Race Center.
Since 2004, AFOW has provided more than $2 million in financial support to registered, non-profit organizations, providing benefits to the Whistler community in the areas of health and community services, the arts and the environment and outdoor recreation. More than $130,000 was donated in 2017 to the following organizations:
*Audain Art Museum for the permanent endowment of the museum’s foundation.
*Whistler Writer’s Society supporting workshop series during 2017 Writers’ Festival
*Whistler Remembrance Place to build new home for the Cenotaph to provide a prominent and honourable location for this monument.
*Whistler Mountain Ski Club supporting the USA Team at the 25th Annual Whistler Cup, one of the largest international children’s ski races.
*Whistler Animals Galore for installation of stone fence around dog run.
*Whistler Community Services Society for their Food Bank and outreach programs.
*Spearhead Huts society for the Kees and Claire Memorial hut for building supplies.
*Whistler Adaptive Sports Program for a highly specialized adaptive mountain bike for individuals with low mobility.
*Whistler Search and Rescue for equipment.
With your assistance we can continue to make a difference. Please give serious thought to advancing the good work of AFOW. To donate by check or credit card please visit http://www.afow.org/donate.
On Saturday, November 11, the community of Whistler gathered at the new Whistler Cenotaph location in Whistler Olympic Plaza to pause, reflect and remember. Contributions from AFOW helped make this new prominent and scenic location possible. It was reported that 1500 members of the community attended.
As many other Americans, when DJ Taylor and Jeremy Town first visited Whistler they fell in love with it and made a pledge they would come back. This was in 2003 and they have returned every year and their number has grown to 21 people.
This year they decided to give back to the Whistler community through AFOW and selected Whistler Adaptive Sports Program, which offers programs in a variety of sports, including paddling, rowing, skiing, snowboarding and cycling to kids and adults with different abilities.
They launched a campaign on PledgeIt (pledgeit.org/for/downhillderelicts) that allowed donors to offer a penny per 100 vertical feet skied. The campaign has raised $20K for WASP.
AFOW is proud to be a supporter of the Audain Art Museum. Learn more about all the events happening at the AAM in their April newsletter